Sunday, August 14, 2016

Not What I Was Expecting

I took a drive through Horsby Bend Biosolid Management Plant in Austin this past Thursday.  On a narrow strip of road I stopped to take pictures of a Ruddy Duck and Solitary Sandpiper that were down in the pond to my left.  When I looked up through my windshield I noticed this sweet girl walking away from me.


As I snapped photos through my windshield, I debated opening my door hoping to get some better shots without the bug covered piece of glass in the way.  Then she sensed my presences, turned, and looked right at me.


Then she looked away toward the pond on my right.


And these guys showed up.


The three kits appeared soaking wet and dead set on following mom.


They never looked back and disappeared into the tall grass along the water's edge.


Not the only wildlife I saw this day.  I spooked two deer when I stopped to get this photo of a beautiful Broad-winged Hawk.  He was new for me and added to my Life List.


I also got a few pictures of another bird I needed for my Life List.  These are Spotted Sandpipers.  Can you guess why they are named that?


It was a wonderful weekend all ways around for wildlife viewing.  I got a lot of new birds (posted on my flickr, click here to see the new additions to the Life List of Texas Birds), some new butterflies, dragonflies, and damselflies.  And also this poor guy who wilted in the 100+ temperatures.