Friday, May 20, 2016

So Far So Good

I have a confession to make.  When I planted a city garden in hanging baskets I wasn't sure it was going to make it.  I was afraid I would forget to water or go out of town and the tomatoes, peppers, and herbs would all die.

March 10
I have been pleasantly surprised to find that I have not killed them (except for the sage I clipped from our house garden) and that they all seem to be thriving.

May 20
I have more jalapeños than I can eat and have taken to dicing them and freezing them to use in soups and sauces later.  I may try making and freezing some poppers, but I'll let you know.

Jalapeno
I have harvested a few tomatoes (like this one from today),

Cherry Tomato
but as you can see I may be about to have a lot more barring some unforeseen tragedy.



And herbs!

Oregano, Parsley, and Chives
I have told a few neighbors they should start clipping and using some because I have a bounty of everything, especially basil.

Basil
My fear of forgetting to water has not been an issue.  I rigged up several containers with water and snips of yarn running from the containers to the soil.  Thank you capillary action for keeping the soil damp.  I hope it will continue to work when the summer gets hot, but by then the tomatoes will have probably run their course.