Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Butterflies are Beautiful

I won't get wordy here.  I'll just show you a couple of the butterfly photos I took at the Attwater Prairie Chicken NWR.

Giant Swallowtail
Pipevine Swallowtail
There were more, but they are harder to capture than birds!  Here is one that I got last month.  Looks very similar to the Pipevine, but its not.

Black Swallowtail
No, I am not adding butterfly identification to my growing list of hobbies.  Let's just call in an interest.  But now that I've started, I'll show you a few more from our old home in Iola.  Taken with my old camera I don't feel like they are as sharp, but worthy of a share.

Checkered White
Question Mark (yes, that is its real name)

Pearl Crescent
And butterfly royalty.

Monarch
Gulf Fritillary
And a couple from our Texas State Parks.

Common Buckeye
Red Admiral
Red-banded Hairstreak
I have seen many more that I couldn't get a good shot of.  It will be good practice to try and see and photograph more.


Two great websites for butterfly identification if you ever get the urge are:

Identify Butterflies by Shape, Wing Color, and Wingspan (very easy and fast to use)

Butterflies and Moths of North America (great for sorting down to the country, state, and county you live in.