Friday, April 15, 2016

Every Picture Tells A Story

I wasn't expecting it.  At first I didn't even see it.  I was following a Snowy Egret with my camera hoping to get a good flight shot.    When I pulled back I saw it.


Another bird for my Life List.  A Yellow-crowned Night-Heron.


Taking small steps one at a time I crept closer and closer.  He was so focused on hunting he didn't seem to notice me at all.  Then he bent over, wiggled his tail feathers, and came up with a crawfish.


It may not look very big, but it really was.


He didn't eat it right away.  He maneuvered it this way and that trying to get it n the right position.  I almost felt bad for the crawfish as it tried to cling to the heron's beak.


But then he got the guy right where he wanted him.


And just like that (imagine me snapping my fingers), the crawfish was gone.


I watched him eat 3 crawfish each time wiggling his tail feathers before coming up with a catch.  Reminded me of my cats before they pounce.  Eventually he left the muddy water and flew up into a tree.


Yep.  They can do that.


I spent 15 minutes with this guy.  It was an awesome experience.