Thursday, March 10, 2016

A City Garden

I loved having a nice big garden here at the house in years passed.

Squash
Getting out there every morning to see what magic had occurred overnight with my tomatoes, carrots, and onions was such a joy.

Cucumber

Carrots and Onions
Cooking with my own food was such a pleasure.  Especially canning pickles and jalapeño slices.  But the thing I loved most that grew in the garden were the gourds.

Gourds
The condo however has forced me to look at having a garden in a different way.  Without a plot of land to work I moved to pots and hanging baskets.

Cherry Tomatoes and Basil
I clipped and dug up some of the herbs from my house garden to plant in the pots.

Spearmint and Peppermint
But not everything will grow in pots so I picked wisely for my first year at attempting a hanging garden.

Oregano, Parsley, Chive
 I was surprised how easy it was to propagate the herbs.  Most of them I just snipped and stuck in the dirt, but some, like the basil, I stuck in water until roots grew then transferred them to soil.

Thyme, Rosemary, Thyme
This little guy is Sage and it's a good thing I clipped him.  Soon after I did the mother plant I took it from died.  It was choked out and didn't get enough sun.   Since this photo was taken 4 new leaves have grown and I'm hopeful it will do great.

Sage
If all goes well I plan to also try jalapeño, lettuce, and cucumbers next.  I still have more fence space and I get lots of wonderful sunshine.  Besides,  cucumbers in a hanging basket just sounds like fun.  The hard part will be getting it enough water.  I have a few ideas on that though.