Saturday, September 26, 2015

There's an Echo in the Fridge

For someone who likes to cook as much as I do it is surprising that I let THIS happen.


1/2 of a jar of Alfredo sauce (expired), 1 tub of sour cream (unopened), yeast, some Sesame Ginger  Salad Dressing, leftover Adobe sauce, some home canned Prickly Pear Jelly, and a box of baking soda.  Oh, and some celery in the produce drawer.  Slim pickings.  Time to shop, right?  You know I love big cooking days to fill my freezer so I took advantage of the situation to make a menu and a list.  I was actually a little surprised I was able to buy everything I needed for so little.  Subtract the 3 items that were not for the recipes and you get $66.94.


So what did I get for $66.94?

Breakfast
15 Pumpkin Spice Scones
12 11 Apple Strudel Muffins (I ate one for breakfast, yum)
4 servings of Apple Spice Oatmeal

Pumpkin Scones
Spices and things like baking soda and baking powder were not factored into this since I already had them on the self.  Neither was sugar.

Dinner
8 servings of Layered Chicken Enchilada Casserole
8 servings of Chicken and Stuffing Bake
8 servings of Italian Sausage Cavaletti (I didn't follow this recipe exactly, but I was close)
8 servings of Paleo Taco Skillet (for taco salads or tacos)
3 BBQ Chicken Pizzas with pineapple, red onion, and spinach


Misc.
8 Freezer Dinner Rolls
9 Hamburger/Sandwich Rolls from the Freezer Dinner Rolls recipe, just much larger and baked
12 Cornbread muffins with red peppers

Thats 64 meal servings plus dinner rolls, hamburger buns, and pizza crust.  Just over $1 per person per meal average.  Of course, the Taco Skillet needs tortillas and the fixings, and we may have a side salad with the Caveletti, but everything else is complete.


I used almost everything I bought.  I do have 4 eggs, some milk,  half a bottle of Bbq sauce, half a bunch of spinach, 8 oz of penne pasta, and 8 oz of stuffing mix left over for another recipe.

And what does my refrigerator look like now?  Not that much different.


Almost the same as before, but my freezer looks great!