Sunday, February 8, 2015

What's Your Comfort Food?

We all need it every once in awhile.  When a tree falls over while you are at work and cracks your main water line.  When you leave the grocery store with ice cream in your bag and find your car won't start.  In general, comfort food is great when things are just . . . well . . . bad.  And everyone is different in the food they crave.  For me it's Cane's three finger chicken basket, but for one friend having a particularly difficult week it's Rum Balls.

They are so easy to make and don't require many ingredients or time.  I made these with her favorite Rum and toasted pecans.


I started with 250 mg of vanilla wafers.  That's just a little less than a box or 2 1/2 cups.  I pulverized them in my food processor until they were fine, then added 1 cup of toasted pecans and pulsed until they were ground and blended.  (Yes, you should take the time to toast the nuts.  It only takes 6 minutes at 325 degrees and tastes better.)


Then I stirred in 2 Tablespoons of cocoa powder and 1 cup of 10x confectioner's sugar; poured in 2 Tablespoons of light corn syrup and 1/2 cup of spiced rum, and stirred until everything was well incorporated.  Easy, right?


All that was left at this point was to shape the balls and roll them in more 10x.


I used my little scoop that still remains one of my favorite cooking tools, and they all came out the same size.


The recipe made 2 dozen at this size with exactly 1 extra for chef to test.  They will be better when they cure in the refrigerator for a few days, but a few tonight will hopefully put a smile on my friend's face.

What's your go-to comfort food when things are crazy?