Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Super Bowl Leftovers? Yes.

I love Super Bowl food.  Who doesn't?  It's gorpy and gooey and totally wrong, but I love it.  This year I made two foods to bring to a friend's house to watch the game.  One has become the perfect go-to appetizer for me and it is always well received.  It's Bacon Wrapped Sriracha Chicken and it's amazing.  I even like what the cilantro adds to the flavor and I'm not usually a fan.



The other was Bourbon Apricot Kielbasa and not a hit.  It needed more layers of flavor to impress me (and everyone else, it seems).



Because it was not popular, I had plenty of left over Kielbasa to play with when I got home and I came up with a way to reinvent it as a meal that turned out pretty well.



I took some green pepper, red onion, garlic, and jalapeno and sauteed them in a little oil, then tossed in some of the Kielbasa and apricot bourbon sauce to heat through.  I then added some soy sauce and red pepper flakes and served it over rice.


Since I hate throwing away food I was glad to have found a way to save this dish, though it will not be making a repeat appearance at next year's Super Bowl.