Monday, February 2, 2015

My Apologies on Behalf of West Elm to the Landfill

I haven't updated you on the condo progress in awhile mostly because there hasn't been much.  I don't get to Houston often so the projects are few and far between.  That being said, Breck and I did get around to adding a little something new to a spot that really needed to be filled.  Please don't pay any attention to the mess.


I found a shelving unit at West Elm that fit the measurements I needed and Breck ordered it online.  Breck warned me that there was an obscene amount of packaging that came with the shelves before I arrived to check it out.


I admit to not being fully prepared.  I have never seen so much waste.


So much corrugated, (the thick stuff not the flimsy stuff), heavy Styrofoam, and whatever that thin plastic wrap junk is.


And do you see those big boxes in the middle?  They are empty.  EMPTY.  They are fillers to keep things from shifting.


So you may wonder what come out of a 7 foot long box.  This is it.  8 pieces of wood and a drawer.  Crazy.


But the real kicker to me was the tag on the file cabinet drawer.  Do you see the irony?  I love West Elm, but seriously, wow.  They could have shipped the flat shelves and brackets in one thin box and the file drawer in another and saved so much on the packaging.


 In the end, I will recycle the cardboard, but just look at all the Styrofoam!


After getting all the garbage squared away, I got to the fun part.  Assembly.  Um, I did ask you not to look at the mess.  It's a work in progress.


I've put together enough IKEA in my day that this was no trouble at all.


And I love it!  It fits the space perfectly and now Breck has a place to put some of his favorite things.


Like the bowl I made him for Christmas to put his loose change in at the end of the day and the tree carving picture I made him for Valentine's Day a few years back (Carved Lover's Tree Photo).


I somehow didn't get more pictures of it, but I'm sure it will make it's way into future posts.   However, that was not the end of our condo upgrading.  We found this city scape at World Market for over the sofa.  Great colors and the price was right.  It was on sale 50% off plus I got an online coupon at the checkout counter on my phone for 15% more.  It was the deal of the day.


 And did you notice the light over the dining table?  It's new too.


Quite the upgrade from where we started.  Sometimes I need to look back at these photos to remind myself of just how much we HAVE done as to not focus on how far we still have to go.


Oh, and Breck has developed a green thumb.  All his plants are doing very well in the morning light from his windows.  


Last but not least, a few other things going on.  The back splash has been removed and the wall in the kitchen has been moved back.  And that big stainless steel thing in the background is a new counter depth refrigerator.


And since the old dishwasher died, a new stainless one is in its place still covered in blue protective plastic.  See the shelf in the background?  Love it.


So that gets you caught up.  It may be awhile before I have anything new from the condo.  Honestly, I'm not even sure what I'll tackle next.