Monday, January 19, 2015

A Little Like My Grandmother's

My grandmother used to keep plants in a big picture window in her dining room.  It's something I haven't thought about in years.


In fact, I may not have recalled that memory if it had not been for my desire to have more plants in my house.


As it turns out my dinning room window gets perfect morning light.


After buying a few new plants from the clearance rack (also known as the "need a good home and loving care" rack) at Lowe's, I moved my hallway table to position them to take advantage of that eastern light.


So far they seem to be doing well.


Even my little $1 finds have perked up with a little fresh dirt and careful pruning.


Breck and I checked every plant we bought for toxicity since we know our Inhibitors tend to nibble on my plants, as you can see from some the the leaves on this Bromeliad.


I also moved my outdoor ficus (indoors for the winter) into a corner where it can get good light as well.  I cleaned the leaves of the dirt that had accumulated on its leaves over the year and borrowed a footstool from the living room to raise it up.  It seems to have responded already.


I also took a couple clippings from my succulents to see if I can get some new babes to grow.


Since I was changing things up anyway, I configured a new centerpiece with Breck's collection of bourbons and some wood and petrified wood we have collected from around the property.


After 4 years of living in the house, Breck and I had our first meal for two in the dinning room.  Removing 2 leaves and the plants just make it seem cozier.


I still haven't shown you the bedroom changes, but now that the sun is out again I can get some good pictures.  Next time.