Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Good But Not Yet Great

Last night I was texting with a friend while finalizing yesterday's blog post and spontaneously decided that I would invite some of the neighbor ladies over for coffee in the morning.  Yes, we are all super busy with the Christmas countdown on, but if not now when?

I added lemon juice to milk to make a buttermilk substitute.
Of course you can't have coffee without something to nibble on.  I had an Apple & Cheddar Cheese Scone recipe in my head that I had wanted to try, and with a lone Granny Smith in the back of my refrigerator,  I whipped up a batch to test run on my friends.

My grandmother's pastry cutter is one of my most cherished kitchen utensils.
Before you get all "Oh, so you just whipped them up in your spare time, hu?,"  scones are one of the easiest things you can make.  All the ingredients get dumped into one bowl then baked.  E A S Y.

No electric mixer required so the clean up is a breeze.
Now, my friends are super sweet and supportive and said the scones were good, however, always the self critic, I think before I post a recipe, I need to tweek it a little with some bacon or carmalized onions and make them even better.

Love the texture of crunch on the outside and apple chunks on the inside.
In the meantime, most of my cooking is prepped and I'm ready to relax and enjoy the next few days.  Have you been cooking like crazy too?