Monday, December 22, 2014

Christmas Menus and a Plan

Traditions are wonderful, don't get me wrong, but change is not a bad thing either.

A break from cooking on the screened porch with a fire and my kitties
 We are definitely in "change" mode this year and I must say I am embracing it.  Our Christmas celebration will truly last 2 days.  As a child I always wanted to open gifts on Christmas Eve and this year I get my wish and will have my brother Mike and his wife Jane, my parents, and my son Cameron here.

Cardinal ornament made by my grandmother back in the day
After opening gifts with them and an early church service, not the usual 11pm candlelight one, we'll have a nice sit down family meal before Mike and Jane head back to their home out of town.

*Christmas Eve Menu*
Poinsettia Cocktail
Wassil Glazed Ham
Cranberry Apple Crisp (a la Mom)

However, my joy does not stop there.  

Table set and ready for guests
On Christmas Day I will also have my son Trevor and his wife, my daughter, here as well.  More laughter and wonderful aromas from my kitchen.

*Christmas Day Brunch*
Red Rudolph Cocktail
Orange Juice, Starbuck's Christmas Blend (thanks, Ed & Diane)

After brunch we will open gifts then, get this, head to the bowling alley for putt-putt, lazer tag, bowling, and games.  


It will be nice to get out of the house after a couple days of cooking and do something different.  We will keep the meal easy after being gone all day.

*Christmas Dinner*
Green Salad
Fluffy Dinner Rolls

Our new Christmas tradition?  Flexibility.  Traditions are familure and safe, but the time with family is the best.