Friday, May 2, 2014

Did I Know It Would Take A Year? No.

I warned you I was going to be a little all over the place with my posts.  I have showed you a few parks, some home improvement, and garden updates, and today we are going back to a project that began last last June!  My beautiful gourds.

Who Doesn't Like Gourds, Oct. 2, 2013
After planting seeds and nurturing two gourd plants in the Texas summer heat, fighting back powdery mildew and squash beetles, harvesting, drying, and waiting ever so patiently, MOST of my gourds were ready to clean this past weekend.

Mold Is Not All Bad, Feb 23, 2014
Some, believe it or not, are still not dry.  I am beginning to wonder if they ever will.  The ones that were ready, though, were plucked from their spot on the ladder where they have rested for 7 months.


They were covered in various types of mold, which is good, but they would require a good soaking in water and bleach before they were ready to be scrubbed.


Even with the mold, aren't they lovely?


So I filled my bucket of gourds with some bleach and water.


I needed to find a simple solution to keep them all submerged since they all floated.


A wet towel weighted down with rocks was perfect.


I let them sit in the water over night and much of the mold and dirt fell right off.


Again.  So pretty.


Next, I scrubbed the little guys to take of the natural waxy coating to reveal the smooth, hard gourd skin underneath.


Not all of it came off easily, and many of them will need another soaking and scrubbing, but there is only so much elbow grease in these elbows.


Back on the ladder they went until I can do the touch ups and hopefully the last of the gourds that are not dry yet.  Then I have something in mind for them that I think will be a lot of fun to do.


I had no idea that this project would last so long when I planted those seeds way back in June 2013.

So Far So Good, June 9th, 2013
But I am so glad I did.

A Happy Day In The Garden, Oct. 14, 2013