Saturday, March 1, 2014

March Already!

My gosh!  I missed February!  It came up fast and left the same.  Here we are on the first day of March and I'm running behind on just about everything.  So to try and get back on track, I am starting the month with my Simple Woman's Daybook entry.

Today . . . is the first day of the weekend and I have such a long list of things I hope to accomplish.

Outside my window . . . it looks like winter, with low grey clouds and a mist that has clung to every surface, though it is warm and getting warmer.  We are on our way to 76 degrees.


I am thinking . . . about the baby shower I have the privilege to attend this afternoon for a sweet friend.  This is outside my comfort zone by a mile, and I already have had a dozen plausible scenarios of escape run through my mind.  However, I have many dear friends that know me too well and won't let me succumb to my trepidation.


In the kitchen . . . the dishwasher is filled with coffee mugs and coffee mugs only.  I have not been very motivated to cook this week after the massive amounts of food I prepared last week for my husband's "Guys Poker Weekend."  Inspiration is returning, though, as I think about a few meals I want to make for a friend about to have surgery.


I am wearing . . . my very comfy sweat pants and over sized Dairy Queen t-shirt.  Along with my lack of inspiration in the kitchen came a lack of desire to do all the laundry that piled up this week.  Sheets for 6 beds, towels for 8, and all my clothes are sorted and ready to make it to the washer, but in the meantime what is currently clean is what I would NEVER wear in public.

I am creating . . . good soil for my spring garden by adding dried winter leaves to the beds, some knitting projects in preparation of another handmade Christmas, and a plan for another Texas State Park trip with my husband in the coming weeks.  We are so far behind in the number of trips we had thought we would have already made this year.

I am going . . . to remember to send an email to our community association to get them to not mow my front berm this season.  The bluebonnets have popped up and I would hate to see them cut.  Last year was a nightmare when they mowed before all off this seasons seeds could drop so I will have fewer flowers out front than before.


I am wondering . . . what it will be like when I no longer work.  This is a biggie.  I love my job and all the social things that go along with working with wonderful people, but there are also so many things I love to do that there is just not time for with a Monday through Friday commitment.  In the end I think I would enjoy the time for my hobbies, but I would miss my friends too much.

I am reading . . . nothing right now.  I finish the Jack Reacher book I had been reading last night before turning out the lights and now have a wide open pallet of choices.  I have committed to not buying any books for myself this year, so it's time to get a library card.  Add going to the library to the list of things I want to do this weekend.

I am hoping . . . that the peppers I planted will make it through the cold snap we are expecting tomorrow night.  We had a freeze a few nights back, but everything I covered in cardboard boxes made it fine (the plastic jugs didn't help at all and I lost those plants).  Glad I had a stash of them in the garage.

I am looking forward to  . . . spending some time with my husband next weekend.  Between his poker weekend and a ski trip I have not seen much of him lately.  I am also really looking forward to the wild flowers this spring and all the photo opportunities that creates.

I am learning . . . to knit.  Yes, I have been at it for a month now, but there is so much to learn.  I made my first visit to a real yarn store last weekend and am smitten with my new hobby.


Around the house . . . I have plans to repaint almost all the interior walls with a beautiful grey color.  I used it in the office and think it's time for a change.  But oh, how I dread the 12 foot ceilings!


I am pondering . . . nothing.  At this time, today, I feel like I have a pretty good plan.   However, tomorrow the answer could change.

A favorite quote for today . . . "Many of our fears are tissue-paper thin, and a single courageous step will carry us clear through them." Brendan Francis

One of my favorite things . . . watching the seeds I planted sprout and the seedlings I planted thrive.  Ahhhh.  My garden.

Bibb Lettuce seedlings and celery
A few plans for the rest of the week . . . a little of this, a little of that, and a whole lot of working in the yard.  Everything is begin to wake up from winter and needs a little loving attention.

A peek into my day . . . includes a Lauren's baby shower, some weeding, knitting, laundry, grocery shopping, and one more cup of coffee.

I am sharing this post on . . .  The Simple Woman's Daybook