Sunday, March 2, 2014

It's All About The Accessories

Whenever you involve yourself in a hobby it is never just about the hobby.  For example, when I cook I pull out my favorite bamboo cutting board and assemble the meal in pretty glazed bowls.  When I sew I have a cute pin cushion by my side.  The accessories make the hobby all the more enjoyable.  For example, when I took up photography I made a bag to hold all my lenses and accouterments and a matching strap cover for my camera.


When I started my Dear Jane quilt, I made a sewing set to carry everything I needed to work away from home.  This kit has remained one of my most viewed posts.  (Click on the links below to see more)

Padded Tin, Thread Catcher, Eyeglass cover, and Felt Block Book
So it should come as no surprise that I needed to make something to hold my new found hobby of knitting.  Luckily, I had this post card fabric laying around.  I bought just a 1/2 yard of it several years ago not knowing how I would use it, but knowing someday I would.  I also had the black for the lining left over from a project so I was clearing out my stash.


I downloaded a bag pattern that was perfect to hold my knitting at All People Quilt.  (Made that pin cushion too.  It just makes me happy.)


It really didn't take much time to make.  In fact, I finished the whole thing while Indiana Jones played on the television in the background.


Most of it was made on the machine with just a few areas that got hand whipped.


Now don't laugh.  One strap is supposed to be longer than the other.


That is so you can slip it through the shorter strap to keep the top closed.  Clever.


Without giving too much away, you can see my new yarn and project tucked inside with another of my favorite things - bamboo needles.  I will never use plastic again and may never use metal either.  Joy.


All ready to carry to work tomorrow in case anyone wants to stay after and knit.  Or crochet.  Or cross stitch.  You see, we have several very yarn inclined crafters on my hallway.


I do love this bag.  Wouldn't it be a cute way to give a certain little niece I know homemade pajamas for Christmas next year?  Hmmmm.  May need to think about that.