Thursday, February 20, 2014

A Fortuitous Glance

I took a personal day from work today.  I am going for the Wife Of The Year Award, you see.  This weekend is my husband's annual Poker Weekend and there is a lot to do to be ready.  There are beds to make, towels to hang, tubs and toilets, sinks and floors . . . oh, you get the idea.  Anyway, it is something I am happy to do so that he and his friends can get together.  So why am I sitting at my computer typing up a blog post when I should be finalizing a grocery list?  This is why.


As I was passing through my living room I glanced out my back window and spotted this gorgeous Red-Shouldered Hawk sitting on a limb.  I thought about the binoculars, but I am so happy I took the time to grab my camera instead.


I got to see him from several angles as he scanned the yard for prey.  Then I got really lucky and he took flight.  Oh, if I only had put my camera on sports mode to get better action shots, or had it set to continuously shoot I would have gotten some better shots.  But I will take what I can get.  It was a real treat as it was.


Even though I didn't catch it on film, I was able to see him swoop down on a small critter in the yard and watched it jump to escape the hawk's talons.  The hawk flew away hungry, I'm afraid.


I read just a little about this hawk while my photos were downloading and found that it is faithful to it's nesting site returning year after year.  One of it's young will even take over the nest when the parents die.  Hopefully this means I will have future opportunities to get some more shots.