Thursday, January 2, 2014

Sweet Potato Fries! Oh My!

I mentioned in yesterday's post that a sweet potato was calling my name.  Well, I answered.  They came from my sister and brother-in-law's garden and were a wonderful gift for a fellow gardener.


Their beautiful color really jumps out once they are cleaned of their Georgia dirt and scrubbed.


Oh, that color!


After cutting the spud into thirds, I sliced them up into wedges.


1 Tbsp. of olive oil, 1 clove of garlic minced, 1 big pinch of dried rosemary (from the garden, of course), another big pinch of coarse salt, and 2 shakes of pepper went into the bowl with the wedges and I gave them a good stir.


Then onto a foil covered baking sheet with lots of space for heat circulation.


Next, into the oven to bake at 475F for 30 minutes.


8 minutes in I could really smell the garlic.  At 14 the rosemary took over and I gave them a stir.  Oh my, the smells in my kitchen were so wonderful.  While the yumminess (I know it's not a real word, spell check, but it should be) was happening in the oven, I mixed up a dipping sauce with stone ground mustard, honey, and just a bit of mayo to make it creamy.


I finished them off with 1 minute on broil (just because) and Ta-Da!  Why oh why have I never done this before?  It was the perfect lunch.


Yep, I was a happy girl.


And the dipping sauce was a great addition, though the fries could have stood by themselves with the flavor added by the garlic and rosemary.


Um . . . yes I ate it all.


I have a new go-to lunch to add to my repertoire.  Yep.  I'll be making this again and again.  Maybe even today.