Friday, January 3, 2014

Sprouts, Seeds, and a Skillet

I know it's back to back cooking posts, but it's been cold and cloudy around here so I have not ventured out to do some of the things I had planned.  With groceries running low I needed to get creative in the kitchen with some fresh brussel sprouts that were in danger of becoming less than fresh and more on the side of compost.  I didn't have a plan when I started, it just evolved from "I'll throw these suckers in a frying pan," to "Let's try something new."  I started with a hot skillet and a Tbsp of Sesame Oil.


I quartered a couple handfuls of brussel sprouts, enough for a nice lunch, and slid them into the hot oil.


After about a  3 minute head start, I added a slice of onion, chopped.


Everything really began to caramelize nicely after a few more minutes and I drizzled in a little more oil.


I judged by color on this, and when I thought it looked done I tossed in a some salted sunflower seeds and one clove of garlic.   I added the garlic at the end so it wouldn't burn, stirring and cooking for 1 minute more.

After plating it up, I sprinkled with coarse salt and pepper.


I really wasn't sure what to expect, but was very pleased.  A little more onion next time and maybe some crushed red pepper to give it some pizzazz, but it really was good as is.


Now I am out of anything fresh in the fridge and must go to town to get groceries.  My list is ready, but man is it chilly out there!