Thursday, January 16, 2014

Number 34: Inks Lake State Park

If you are a Texan, if you went to school in the Austin area, or if you enjoy the great outdoors you have probably heard of Devil's Waterhole.  You may, like my son, have even jumped off the rocky cliffs and into the lake here if you are a daredevil.   However I am way past my daredevil days years, so when Breck and I went to Inks Lake State Park last weekend we didn't even take the trail to that popular spot to see it in person.  Here is how I thought it would go in my head if we did:

Scene:  A bunch of twenty somethings hanging out on the rocks, taking turns jumping.  Young men showing their bravery, wooing the ladies below with their courage.
Young man #1,  pointing at the 40 somethings:  "Look!  Old people!"
Young man #2:  "Do you think they are lost?  Maybe we should help them find their way back to the road."
Young man #1:  "No, they have cameras.  I think they are taking pictures of us.  Weirdos."
Young man #2:  "GET A LIFE, old folks!" he yells before taking a mighty leap into the lake below.

Yep, pretty mortifying.  So we skipped it.  It's okay, though, because this park has 7 miles of trails that proved to be quite beautiful.


The trails run around the lake and over pink granite.





It was such a pretty day.  We shared the trails with several other hikers, some with their dogs, but it never seemed crowded.




I believe we might have seen Coots at every park we have visited.  Surprised it's not the state bird.




Would I go back?  Sure.  But we have so many more on our list to see first.