Sunday, January 12, 2014

Number 33: Longhorn Cavern State Park

The weather was lovely this weekend so Breck and I took off on another Texas State Park adventure.  Our first park was Longhorn Cavern State Park in Burnet.


Of course, like the other wonderful parks we have been to, there were trails for hiking.


Plenty to see and photograph even in winter.




This heart shaped cacti was a favorite.



Since getting my new camera meant I now have two (I know, simple addition is obvious), Breck took many shots of his own.


I can't wait to put our shots side by side to see how we each view our trips.



The one and only complaint I have is the way the park has marked its trails.  These yellow paint splotches are found throughout the park and quite annoying since we found the trails very easy to follow.


Besides the nature trails there are several structures built by the CCC (Civilian Conservation Corp) in the 1930's during the depression.


The craftsmanship is beautiful.


This circular stairway is in the observation tower which leads to miles and miles of views.



This stone structure is at the top of the park's namesake with stairs leading down to the cave.


Love the arches.




We didn't take the tour of the cave, time did not permit for the 1.5 hour trip, but the entrance itself was pretty stunning.




And one last CCC building.


I know I have already said it, but . . . the craftsmanship . . . so beautiful.



This was the first time I really paid much attention to these CCC builds.  I had seen them in Bastrop, Palo Duro Canyon, Meridian, and Huntsville, but didn't not pay the attention I should have to these structures. What wonderful legacies left behind by President Roosevelt from a difficult time in our country.  To read more about it and see photographs, both old and new, click here.

We visited two trips on this day.  The other was Inks Lake.  More on that another day.