Monday, January 20, 2014

Home Grown Oranges Preserved.

For the second year in a row I was the lucky recipient of a bag of fresh, homegrown oranges from my neighbor Peggy.  Her father grows them at his home in Louisiana and is a sweetheart to share.  Even though I have been eating at least one a day, there are still many to use before they soften and go bad.


I love orange segments in my chicken salad, with cranberries, and in my yogurt.  I usually keep a few of the canned Mandarin oranges in my pantry, so canning my own with the bounty seemed like a great idea.


I peeled about 2 1/2 pounds of the gems.  They weren't seedless, but my sharp paring knife made short work of removing them.


I also confess that I got a bit obsessive with removing the white stringy membranes.


I boiled a very light syrup with 6 cups of water and 3/4 cup of sugar.  After filling my hot jars with the orange segments, I poured the boiling syrup over top and removed the air bubbles with a small spatula.


After 10 minutes in a hot water bath I have 3 half pint jars and 3 pint jars of my own lightly sweetened oranges and still have several fresh ones for breakfasts this week.


They won't last as long as my jams, but if they last full 9 months of their shelf life I will be surprised.