Wednesday, January 1, 2014

First Daybook Journal of 2014

Today . . . I woke to a new day, a new month, AND a new year!  2014.


Outside my window . . . the birds are flitting in and out of the feeder, taking turns at dipping into the new seed.  It's cloudy and cool, but it looks like the sun may poke through as the day rolls on.

I Am Thinking . . . short term, unlike most people today who are making resolutions for the year ahead.  I am on Christmas Break from school, and with the holiday craziness behind me I am making plans to use the 6 days I have left off work in the most efficient and productive way possible.

In The Kitchen . . . I have either finished or purged the last of the left overs from Christmas and am ready for a new start.  There is a sweet potato SCREAMING my name to be made into fries for lunch. My wonderful Sister and Brother-In-Law brought us a bunch from their garden and they are fabulous.

I Am Wearing . . . sweat pants that are stained (but clean) with a hole in the knee, a big sweatshirt that isn't, with warm wool socks.  It's just that kind of morning.  

I Am Creating . . . a list of handmade items I want to make for this year's Christmas.  I made all but 2 of the gifts we gave this year, but I didn't get as much of a jump on things as I should have.  This year I plan to do it again, but spread "the making" out a little better.  I also plan to make another Dear Jane Block today for my quilt. This is the year I will finish this labor of love.  Only 21 blocks to go.


I Am Going . . . to get a lot done today, and I will enjoy the time I spend doing it.  I will make a grocery list, do a little sewing, a little cleaning, and find my camera cable which somehow got misplaced over Christmas.

I Am Wondering . . . if the Vaseline that I smeared on the trunk of my lemon tree is working to keep the cutter ants away.  Too bad I can't put it on my onions as well.  Those little guys are wiping out my garden in 1/2 inch chunks.

I Am Reading . . . my new camera's manual.  Not the most entertaining read ever, but I have got to get ahead of the learning curve on this guy before Breck and I start hiking again.  We still have 61 Texas State Parks to go.

I Am Hoping . . . that the sun really does break out today so I can experiment with the new camera and the viewfinder I got for Christmas.  Besides, sunny days just make me happy.

I Am Looking Forward To . . . everything about this day!  I don't feel like I have taken a deep breath and truly relaxed since September.  With the Christmas decorations packed away, the house in reasonable order, and the men away skiing, I have the place to myself.

I Am Learning . . . about all the features my new camera has to offer, how to work the pressure cooker I got for Christmas so I can preserve more of what my garden grows, and dabbling with the idea of learning how to knit.

Around The House . . . there is still some cleaning that needs to be done, but the decorations are in their boxes and clean sheets and towels are in the guest rooms.  I am considering doing a little painting.  It's time to change the wall color in the office from the rich cranberry/merlot color that I love to something lighter and brighter.  It's also the color of my dining room so I won't be giving it up completely.


I Am Pondering . . . how to prioritize all the projects I would like to accomplish with the house.  Looking back over 2013 I realized I got way more done than I thought I did.  The little things that make a difference get forgot.  I love how far we have come with this house, but there is still a long way to go.

A Favorite Quote For Today . . .  "I have found that it is the small things, everyday deeds from ordinary folk, that keeps the darkness at bay.  Simple acts of kindness and love." Gandolf, The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey.

One Of My Favorite Things . . . time to myself.  I love my family and friends, don't get me wrong, but I also enjoy the simple pleasure of quiet.  After a very busy 1st semester of school and a very filled holiday season of company at the house, a little down time to myself is nice to rejuvenate and recharge.

A Few Plans For The Rest Of The Week . . . a trip to drop off recycling, a day of cooking to refill the freezer with meals, a little time in my crafts room, and I must reorganize my pantry after the mess it became over Thanksgiving and Christmas.

A Peek Into My Day . . . if the sun comes out I will take some pictures, but if not I will get to sewing.  Either way it will be enjoyable.

I Am Sharing This Post On . . .