Sunday, December 22, 2013

The Luxury of Homemade Scrubs

One of my most popular posts was one I did of the homemade Gingerbread Sugar Scrub I made for my coworkers last year at Christmas.  (On a quick side note, this post has been pinned to Pinterest, and it makes me smile to think someone else finds something I've done something they want to do.)


It was one of those gifts that I really enjoyed making, and the feedback from the ladies was so positive that I knew I wanted to experiment with more scrubs this year.  Back in October I began the process by making some essential oil from the rosemary growing in my garden.


Every two weeks or so I switched out the old rosemary and added new to the oil until it had a rich, strong scent of the wonderful herb and was ready to use.  After a lot of research on line looking at recipes, and finding out that basically anything goes, I made 4 scrubs using some very simple ingredients.  The first was a Lemon Rosemary Salt Scrub using the essential oil I had made.  After mixing the ingredients, I packed it into some really cute jars for giving.  The orange/yellow bits you see are pieces of dried lemon peel.

Sea Salt, Epsom Salt, Lemon Juice, Dried Lemon Peel, Fresh Rosemary, Rosemary Essential Oil
I wish you could have smelled my kitchen when I made this.  My gosh, it was wonderful.  After this, I made another scrub that I called Warm Spiced Sugar Scrub. It smelled like pumpkin pie.

Brown Sugar, White Sugar, Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Clove, Vanilla, Grapeseed Oil
Next, in the spirit of Christmas, I made a Peppermint Salt Scrub.  I did add a little red food coloring to compliment the peppermint theme, but the smell alone gave it away.  I love the way some salt took more of the color so it has a little white and pink mixed together.  I confess that I have a small jar of this scrub in my shower right now.

Sea Salt, Epsom Salt, Peppermint Extract, Vanilla Extract Rice Flour, Red Food Coloring
Last, but certainly not least, I made an Oatmeal Almond Sugar Scrub.  This one turned out to be my favorite and I will be making more of it myself.  I love the texture and the scent and everything about it.  The flecks of orange/brown are dried orange peel and steel cut oats.  Love it.

Oatmeal, Steel Cut Oats, Dried Orange Peel, Almond Extract, White Sugar, Grape Seed Oil
After making some cute little labels with my Inhibitors prominently displayed (my two cats; Kracken and Rudy), I boxed up my gift.


So much fun to make.  I really don't know why I don't make scrubs more often.  If you have never tried one you should.  Now back to more gift making.  Just 2 more to go and I'll be ready to put my feet up and enjoy my Christmas Break.  But if you are wondering what my coworker gift was this year, just think back to all that jam and jelly canning I did this past summer.

Cherry Amaretto, Apple Raisin, Blueberry Apple, Carrot Cake, Vanilla Pear, Jalapeno Jelly