Monday, December 30, 2013

Not Buying THAT Again!

With the experience I gained making my Christmas gifts this year, I have come to the conclusion that there are things I will not ever buy for myself again.  Sugar and salt scrubs?  So fun to make.


And with our new fire pit, the fire starters will be great fun.


Granola.  Oh my, yes.  I will always make my own granola now.


Of course, jam from my kitchen is always best, but there is something else from my kitchen to add to the list. Beef Jerky.  I made up a bunch for my dad to take to the land when he goes camping.  I started with lean flank steak sliced to about 1/4".  I did freeze the meat for 30 minutes first to make it easy to slice.


I used 3 steaks, 1 1/2 pounds each, and seasoned them 3 different ways.  Once I mixed up the spices and liquids, I marinaded the meat for 8 hours.


Air circulation is important around the meat since it is cooked at a low temperature, so I used my cookie racks to lay the strips out.  The thermostat here reads low because I had just opened the door to turn the meat.  It was cooked at 170F for 4 hours.


The rich brown color is not from over cooking, it is from the dehydration process.


The batch pictured was spicy (click here for the marinade recipe minus the Franks' Sauce), but I also made a teriyaki (click here for the marinade recipe) and a more traditional smokey flavor as well. It takes a little time, but it is so worth it.  How great to have some to take on our State Park hiking trips?

Smokey Flavored Jerky Marinade
3/4 Cup Worcestershire Sauce
1 1/2 tsp liquid smoke
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp Applewood Smoked salt
1 Tbsp brown sugar