Sunday, December 29, 2013

No Sugar Canned Pears

My mother asks for pears for Christmas every year.  This year I decided to can a few for her so she could have some in her pantry whenever she wanted them.  


I planned to make 3 different flavors.


One was made with vanilla bean, one of my favorite ingredients to work with.  I love how the tiny seeds add so much flavor.


I got three pots going with 3 flavored but sugarless syrups.

  1. 2 1/3 cup of water with 1 vanilla bean
  2. 2 1/3 cup of water with 2 cinnamon sticks, 2 star anise, 4 whole cloves, and 1/2 orange peel
  3. 2 1/3 cup of water with 1 tsp. ginger, 1/2 tsp. cinnamon, and 1 tsp. lemon juice



While they were simmering to meld all the flavors, I peeled the pears for slicing.  I kept them in a bowl of cold water with a little lemon juice so they wouldn't brown while I was getting everything ready.


Before adding the pears, I scooped out all the spices and lemon rinds.


The pears were stirred in and boiled for 5 minutes to get them hot for processing in a water bath for 25 minutes.


I also made up some labels for the canned lids.


Somehow, though, I managed to forget to get a final picture of the pears.  I don't know how that happened. All I have is this out of focus shot of all the canning I did which has the 6 jars in the mix.


I need to do a better job making sure to get the after shots.