Tuesday, December 3, 2013

It's For the Birds

So much of what I have been doing lately is working on my Christmas gifts.  Obviously, at the risk of a recipient seeing a post on their present, I have not been writing many posts lately.  However, over the Thanksgiving break, my husband and I exchanged gifts with some of our family which frees me up to show you a little of what I have been doing.

My father-in-law really enjoys watching the birds in his yard.  While here for a visit last week we spent a bit of time with the binoculars watching my birds flying to and from my feeder in the yard.  My gift to him was some seed cakes to hang in his yard to attract the birds for him to enjoy.   

I mixed 4 cups of seeds with 3/4 of a cup of flour, 1/2 cup of water, 3 Tablespoons of corn syrup, with one envelope of unflavored gelatin.


I  packed the seed tightly (very tightly), into acorn, maple, and oak leaf cookie cutters with a loop of heavy twine sticking out for tying.


Make sure to pack those seeds in tight.  I used a spoon coated with cooking spray to help press the seed into each nook and cranny.  After they dried for about 30 minutes, I removed the cookie cutter very carefully and used the cutter to make more.  After all the cakes were made, I put them in the pantry to dry for 3 days before packing them into a box with tissue paper and a silica packet to gift.


The recipe made 12 seed cakes about 1 inch thick.  I am really happy with the way they turned out, and hopefully the birds in central Georgia will love them as well.


I am still working on a few more things this season, but I am gaining on being finished.  It's a good thing since Christmas is quickly approaching.