Step 1 (February 23):
Using a branch from our property, with the help of my dad, I sliced up wood discs.
My dad drilled holes in some of them, as you may recall.
Step 2 (February 24)
I dipped all my slices in Pentacryl to preserve the wood and prevent it from splitting.
Then I let them dry slowly in my closet for 8 months.
Step 3 (October 26)
I dragged the now completely dry discs out of the closet, and my neighbor Lucy helped me sand them all smooth while fighting off swarms of mosquitoes.
Step 4 (December 3)
Using a good black ink and some seasonal rubber stamps, I began to test out the discs.
I was very pleased with how they turned out.
Step 5 (December 5)
I drilled holes in the discs with center holes to lace with green and white twine.
I printed a pie chart to use as a guide for the holes.
I laced the discs to look like wreaths and tied longer red, green, and white twine to the printed slices through holes I drilled in them as well.
Step 6 (December 7)
When all the ornaments were finished, I draped them from a stick I found in the yard and wrapped them in tissue.
I could not be more pleased with the way they turned out.
I like the way the laced discs reflect my love of sewing, and that I learned something new having never done stamping before. The wood was from my yard, which I love and I find myself wishing I had made more. Hopefully the recipients will like them as well.