Sunday, November 3, 2013

Sun Dried: Who Has Time?

What to do with an abundance of tomatoes?  My neighbor's cherry tomato plant from the spring is STILL producing, and she has been sharing her bounty with me.  Combined with some vine ripe tomatoes that Breck brought me last weekend, I have plenty to do something a little different.


No, it does not involve canning (surprise!).  I used them to make sun dried oven dried tomatoes.  I don't have the time to wait for the sun, so I cut them into pieces and put them in a 210 degree oven.


I checked them every hour and removed the ones that were finished (nice and leathery) as I went along. Now I have a nice little stash to use in some of our favorite dishes, like Penne Pasta with Chicken and Broccoli.


I will just drop a handful into some olive oil the night before and use in my recipe the next night.  I confess that there should have been more tomatoes, but they were so good after they dried that I made a nice snack of a small handful.