Sunday, November 17, 2013

November is Half Way Gone!

Today . . .  I am going to make a few more handmade Christmas gifts while the house is quiet.

Outside my window . . . The sky is grey, the winds are blowing, and leaves are changing with the season.  It looks like it should be chilly, but it's already well into the 70s on its way to the 80s and the mosquitoes are swarming my patio windows.


A low light day so the picture isn't the best.  But look at the color!
I am thinking . . . about all the changes that are taking place around here these days:  new patio and fire pit going in, lots of family coming to town for Thanksgiving, new challenges at work, and the holidays fast approaching.

In the kitchen . . . there is rosemary freshly clipped from my garden drying slowly in the oven for one of those presents I'll be working on today.  Oh, how I love that smell.


Every garden should have rosemary . . . in my opinion.
I am wearing . . . my comfy PJs.  Don't judge, but I may just stay in them all day.  Well, at least until I head out to see how my tomatoes are doing in the garden.

I am creating . . .  lots of new things that I just can't tell you about.  I committed to making my Christmas gifts this year so there is a lot of sewing, cooking, gluing, waxing, and general crafting going on nonstop.  But since some of the recipients check in on my blog, I just can't disclose.  I wish I could since I am excited about everything I have done so far.


It's all top secret, so this is all I can show.
I am going . . . to spend a little time on line today looking at Adirondack chairs for my new patio.  Everything is on season end sales right now with lots of free shipping that I would like to take advantage of.  If I can make up my mind, I could have them for fire sitting with our Georgia company in a week and a half.

I am wondering . . .if I will have the time to take a deep breath after today.  With the company coming, my son graduating from the University of Texas the weekend after that, then the big push towards Christmas, things will be busy here.  But that's the way it is for everyone, isn't it?

I am reading . . . Reading?  I haven't had the time recently.  A problem that must be rectified.

I am hoping . . . that the contractor building my patio has the same picture in his head that I do.  I want so badly to be happy with it.  


The site is cleared and ready for stone.
I am looking forward to . . . the weather cooling down again like it was last week around here, lots of soup and stew, and sitting by the fire (in those new chairs I just have to buy).

I am learning . . . so many new things as I have been working on the presents.  For instance, did you know that wax can catch fire when you are melting it?  Glad I read that before popping a block in the microwave.

Around the house . . . we have a bit of everything going on.  Most of it is ready for Thanksgiving with lots of golds and browns, but I have other rooms with Christmas trees up and decorated.  Don't lecture, I promise I am not skipping a holiday.  I traditionally decorate for Christmas the day after Thanksgiving and only do what I can in one day.  If it is not put out that day it goes back to the garage.  Since I don't want to intrude on the guests that will be inhabiting the guest rooms, and since the whole house needs to be done (7 trees this year) since I am hosting a Cookie Exchange party, and since I am making all the gifts and my time is limited, I thought I would get a small jump start.


Guest room 1 is ready for company.
I am pondering . . . a menu plan for when company is here.  Lot's of crock pot meals so I won't need to be in the kitchen the whole time they are here.  I am also wondering if the amazing leaf color will hold on long enough for our guests to enjoy.

A favorite quote for today . . . "Blessed are those who can give without remembering and take without forgetting."  I know this is the same as last month, but it has been ringing in my ear of late.  I love this quote.

One of my favorite things . . . my back yard.  I can walk through my house, 3 years after building it, and still stop to stare out the windows and see something new.  This week we had two bucks come up to the porch looking for acorns.  And the leaves . . . stunning.


I hope he becomes a regular visitor.
A few plans for the rest of the week . . . wrapping up the gifts that our guests will be taking back with them.  Hooray for no shipping.  Getting the menu together for the week and for Thanksgiving.  Making my brother's and sister-in-law's presents.

A peek into my day . . . lots of creative messes will be made with football in the background.  Happy.  Happy.  Happy.

I am sharing this post on . . .