Sunday, October 20, 2013

So Many Jalapenos!

I've mentioned before that my one jalapeno plant has been the most prolific plant in my garden.  On any given day I can harvest a pepper for the kitchen if I need one.  On this day I harvested 20.  Yes, 20 from one bush.


I've made jalapeno jelly, and I plan to make more, but I really just wanted to get these peppers in the freezer for soups and enchiladas this winter
.

The nice thing about peppers is that unlike other vegetables, they do not need to be blanched before freezing.


No, the color isn't funky.  I wear gloves when I work with jalapenos.


Did I mention that there are still a full dozen peppers on the plant that will need to be used this week?  I wish all my veggies were this successful.


I like pre-chopping the peppers so that I can flash freeze them.


 Once they are frozen in a single layer, I can put them into a bag and remove only what I need when I need it because they won't be stuck together.


And don't worry.  Even my scraps got used.  They made their way into my compost bin.