Monday, October 7, 2013

My "ING" For The Day

I know it may not be an ideal way to spend the day, especially an 80 degree day with low humidity, blue skies, and light breezes.  But with my kitchen windows open and applesauce simmering on the stove, I would say it was pretty close.

9 lbs of apples
Of course kayaking, biking, gardening, Texas State Park tripping, Rusk camping, book reading in the hammock (wait, I don't have a hammock), or just about anything ending with "ing" would have been a good choice with weather like this.  If you are not from Texas, you may not understand.  Days like this are rare. And after a long hot summer it's a special treat to be savored.

Oatmeal Apple Scones with Spice Glaze
Most of the recipes I made have become staples for my freezer; like the Chicken Spaghetti and Egg Sandwiches.  You can see these recipes on my What's Cooking list.  I did a couple new ones this time and will be interested to hear how Breck likes them.

Ready for Spaghetti
As usually, though, I got so busy with the making that I neglected to get many photos.  There were some good opportunities I totally missed, like Breck pouring the sauce on the Chicken Enchiladas and the way the jars of chunky apple sauces looked on the table in the sunlight.  Oh well, the freezer is full and that's what counts.

2 quarts + 1 pint + 1 half pint Chunky Cinnamon Applesauce
4  individual meals + 1 family meal  Baked Penne with Chicken, Broccoli, and  Mozzarella (I didn't have smoked mozzarella, but used fresh and added some cumin to the recipe)
4 individual meals + 1 family meal Chicken Enchiladas
4 Pizzas ( sliced tomato, pepperoni, mushroom, onion, red and green peppers, and fresh mozzarella)
4 White Chicken Spaghetti
48 Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies (I used 5 oz milk chocolate chips and 5 oz peanut butter chips and took tips from The Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookie)
24 Oatmeal Apple Scones with Spice Glaze
6 Egg Sandwiches
3 Sweet-Hot Marinaded Chicken Thighs
3 Delectable Marinaded Chicken Thighs
3 Lemon, Rosemary, Balsamic Marinaded Chicken Thighs
2 lbs of cooked shredded chicken for another day

Since I got a late start on the cooking, and canning the applesauce takes a little extra time, I still have a few things I have the ingredients for and want to make.  One is canning some Pear Vanilla Jam, which in my opinion, is one of the best things ever.  With a little goat cheese and french bread it's heaven.  I also have potatoes to mash and freeze (red potatoes are great for this and don't get mealy), Pumpkin Spice Scones, and a pot of chili to make. I'll make the chili tonight.  And maybe the scones.