Thursday, October 3, 2013

Jalapeno Pepper Jelly!

I always forget how much I enjoy canning until I drag out my big pot and box of jars and lids.


There is just something about the whole process that makes me feel good.


To be a part of something from the very beginning by growing your own makes it even better.


This time around it was Jalapeno Pepper Jelly.  With some cream cheese and crackers this can be a perfect snack while watching a little football on TV or a great nibble to pull out when the neighbors stop by.  Ohhhh, how about brushed on grilled chicken!


So pretty with all the flecks of red and green; just like Christmas.  In fact, these cute jars are going to make nice little gifts for some very special people I know.


I've been amazed at how many jalapenos I have gotten off my one little bush that started off so sad.   This recipe took 18 which I picked over two days and chopped by hand so they would look like dancing pieces of confetti.  A food processor would have been faster, but I was afraid the look would have been muddy.  I removed the seeds because I didn't want to see them in the jelly, but added some red pepper flakes to get a little of the heat back. There are also two big red bells hand chopped in their as well.   This is not a hot jelly, more on the sweet side.  If I get another round of jalapenos this season I'll make a batch with a little more bite.  I guess my Christmas preparations have officially begun.