Thursday, October 17, 2013

It's Soup Season!!!

Dinner last night was a really special treat for me.  Not only did I dust off one of my favorite soup recipes that I have not made in at least 6 years, but I was able to share it with friends.


The sharing part is the best.  With Breck out of town for the week it was a treat to have the neighbors over for some adult conversation.  I work with 4-7 years at school and my conversations with them are just not the same.


Soup goes a long way, so I was able to give 2 to-go bowls full for my neighbors to take home with them and still had enough to bring to work today for myself and another friend.


Oh, and there is still more to put in the freezer!


Right up there with changing leaves and cooler temperatures, soups are definitely one of my favorite things about fall.


That said, the early sunsets are not making for very good indoor cooking shots.  Artificial light and shadows just aren't the same.  Sorry.

Cajun Corn Chowder
1 large onion
1 cup green pepper, chopped
6 green onions with tops
1/2 cup cooking oil
1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup Cajun seasoning
3 cups water
1 can stewed tomatoes
2 cans diced tomatoes
1 6 oz. can tomato paste
1- 2 16 oz. bags of frozen corn
3 cups cubes cooked ham
1 1/2 lbs. cooked smoked sausage, sliced

In a large kettle, saute onion, green pepper and green onion in oil until tender, about 5 minutes.  Add flour and Cajun seasoning, cook, and stir until bubbly.  Add water, tomatoes, and past; mix well.  Stir in the corn and meat and salt to taste.  Bring to a boil,s tirring frequently.  Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered for 1 hour, stirring occationally.