Saturday, October 19, 2013

Finally Another Park: Bastrop State Park

Hooray for fall for so many reasons!  Soup, warm quilts, holidays, and Texas State Park visits.  Breck and I had taken a break from our trips because, honestly, it was just too hot to enjoy them.  But now we're back.


I expected the dead trees from the awful fire of 2011 that burned more than 34,000 acres in Bastrop.  But it was so much worse than I expected.


Acre after acre of tall, thin, black sticks.


Many trees still lie where they fell.  We had to climb over several that blocked the trails.


Hard to believe that after being exposed to the elements for 2 years that the trees still hold their bark.


But it wasn't disappointing.   There was a lot of new growth to be seen.  So many little oaks were popping up everywhere.


And the longer we walked, the more we got used to the dead trees, and they became part of the beauty.


Please don't misunderstand me.  The fire was horrible.


But the way nature is reclaiming the park is pretty amazing.




 Two years after the fire, so many of the trees look as though it happened only yesterday.



These acorns were still clinging to an oak that had burned.  Others still had pine cones on their branches.


Most surprising, though, was not the fall color creeping into the leaves of the small trees taking hold.


 It was the number of flowers in bloom that made us do a double take.



 It looked like spring!


Yellows, pinks, whites, purples.  They were all there.


These might have been my favorites.


But they were all fantastic.




Okay, I know I have no good segue for it, but I loved this little caterpillar.


I cannot tell you how happy I am that we are back to our park trips.  Expect more, people.  We are only 1/3 of the way through the list.  You can check out the other parks we have been to at Texas State Park Adventures.