Tuesday, October 15, 2013

And The Color Of The Day Is Green

I told you yesterday that I needed to harvest and process my basil for storing.


Pesto seemed an obvious choice, so I separated the good leaves from the stems, and soaked them in cool water.


A few good swishes and the leaves were free of any bugs and sand.

 
I placed the leaves on a clean dish drying mat to help absorb the moisture I couldn't shake off.  A salad spinner would have been great for this, unfortunately mine is with Breck in Houston.


Garlic is so good in pesto, so I chopped up a few nice sized cloves.


Into the food processor went the basil, pine nuts, Parmesan cheese, garlic, and a little salt.  After a few good pulses, I streamed in some olive oil to bind it all together.


When I was finished, I had 2 half pint jars of pesto.


I also used ice cube trays to make 20-1 Tablespoon servings of pesto . These will get frozen and kept in a zip lock freezer bag.   They will be perfect to flavor chicken, soup, and pasta.


I even had enough basil left over to dry for my spice rack.


My four basil plants went a long way this season.