Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Stepping Out Of My Norm

I am stepping away from my traditional choice of reading material today.  I am forgoing monsters, zombies, and vampires.  I am passing on spies, special ops, and detectives.  Today there will be no Stephen King, Lee Child, or Brad Thor.  Today (it's pajama day Wednesday) I am reading  . . .  wait for it . . . non-fiction (gasp).

I stopped by the book store on Monday to kill a little time before meeting some friends for dinner and selected a sizable stack of gardening books from the shelves, pulled up a comfy arm chair in a corner, and spent an hour perusing the pages.  I love the Internet as a resource, don't get me wrong, but there is something about turning the pages of a book that cannot be replaced.  Books are a splurge for me, a luxury even. But sometimes you just have to pull the trigger and buy one.

I know what you're thinking and the answer is, "yes we have libraries," but I also love having that home resource to pull out on those rainy fall days and cold winter afternoons.  So after an enjoyable hour of reading, I reluctantly narrowed my choice to one and purchased  a book that will help me learn more about being a successful home gardener.


So with my cucumber trellis made, my cucumber seedling planted, my broccoli hardening off on the porch, my grandoggie Pockets at my feet, and the house to myself,  I will commence reading.