Monday, August 12, 2013

A Day On The Lake

Breck and I set aside the day for ourselves yesterday.  No yard work.  No cleaning.  No cooking.  Just fun. We did something together we have not done in years.


I knew I would love our new truck.  The water level was low (keeping the motor boats away) and the waves were calm (low wind made for a nice 2 1/2 hour float).


I had really wanted to find and photograph some the the spoonbills we had seen a few weeks ago, but we just couldn't get to them.  Parts of the lake were only 6" deep.  Any more shallow and we would have had our work cut out for us.  Here is what we did see though.



All that lush green in the background should be under water.


You can see just how shallow it was.


My action shots are getting a little better, but I still have so far to go.



Now let me show you the ugly side of photography; what happens when you see something really cool, but have the camera on the wrong setting.  I had it on landscape so the shutter was too slow.


It made for fuzzy, out of focus pictures.


This shot was one of several in a series as the pelicans flew off the stump and into the water.


I didn't realize I had not taken a good shot until I got home and brought the pictures up on my computer. Part of the problem I am having is that I cannot see the screen in the bright sunlight to see what I am focused on.  I may need to invest in a view finder for my camera so I won't keep missing these opportunities.