Thursday, July 11, 2013

Tuna. Better.

My freezer is a little low right now, a big cooking day is in order.  In the meantime I am making due with what I have in the pantry.  Last night it was canned tuna.  I know, very little to be inspired by.  I could have gone the tuna pasta casserole route ( I was not opposed, by the way), but I really wanted to break into a jar of my canned Sweet Pickle Relish.


So I had the beginnings of something good, but was still lacking.  Homemade bread just seemed a must to make this a real meal.


Remember, I was feeling guilty about tuna sandwiches for dinner.


The meal now had the homemade taste I wanted.  Tuna salad with homemade relish and toasted  fresh white bread.


And dessert?  Yes.  I told you I feeling bad about serving tuna sandwiches for dinner, so a couple Pistachio Cranberry cookies were a must.  My guilt was eased.


Cranberry Pistachio Cookies
by Me!

1 cup butter softened
1/4 cup white sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
3.4 ounce pistachio instant pudding
2 1/4 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup chopped pistachios
3/4 cups dried cranberries, chopped

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Beat butter and sugar until creamy (4 minutes).  Add pudding, eggs, and vanilla and mix until blended.

In a separate bowl, mix flour, soda, and salt.  Add dry to wet and mix until blended.  Stir in nuts and cranberries (I chopped mine together in a food processor).

Drop dough by tablespoons onto parchment lined baking sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes.  Cool for 2 minutes on baking sheet and move to a cooling rack to cool completely.

3 1/2 dozen

*next time I will switch the brown sugar and white sugar amounts to see if the cookie holds more of its pistachio green color.