Friday, July 26, 2013

One Woman's Tool Is Another Woman's Toy

Looking back over our drive across Texas earlier this month there are several things that come to mind.

  1. Northeast Texas needs rain worse than we do.  Driving by Coyote Lake and finding it almost completely void of water was astonishing.  Look at Google Earth sometime and zero in on the panhandle and you find large grey craters that look like they should be on the moon or in a war zone. Those were lakes.
  2. I will always regret not stopping in Morton, TX to take pictures.  When will I ever learn.  When I get behind the wheel I tend to get a one track mind and focus on getting to where I am going.
  3. Why on earth in this modern day of farming with tractors, cultivators, and every other form of machinery imaginable did I see men with hoes in the fields?  When I saw it the first time I thought it was strange, but then 40 miles down the road I saw it again.  Was this really the best way to do things?  A hoe?
Well, after 2 hours of weed pulling in my landscaping this morning, I thought maybe they might be onto something.  So I went to Lowe's and got a new tool toy.


It really doesn't take much to make me happy.  Last week it was a salad spinner (always wanted one).  And to use it (the hoe not the spinner) is a breeze.  After assembling all Breck's furniture last week it was nice to get something that was ready to use right out of the box (no box, really, that would just be extraneous packaging and a real waste). No batteries.  No cords.  So how does it work?  


Awesome.  


Had all the weeds out of the garden paths in no time.  And while we are in the garden, would you like a peek at my squash?  I have harvested  2 so far and more is on the way.


I've been able to meet my goal of staying organic so far, and can't wait to taste the results this weekend.