Monday, July 1, 2013

Celery From Celery

You have probably seen it on Pinterest and it seems like a good idea, right?  You pin it, and you never look back.  Been there, done that.  It's why I periodically go back and look at my boards and delete those items I know I will never get to.  I like my boards clean and not cluttered.    Growing celery from store bought celery is one of those things I saw, pinned, but KNEW I wanted to try.  This is especially true since I am starting my own garden.  Well, I didn't take any before pictures (I started this on the 15th of June I think), but I would love to show you my "not after but somewhere in the middle" pictures.


I really did just wack off the the bottom section of celery I got at the grocery store and stuck it in water.  I began seeing leaves develop on the second day, believe it or not.


I did remove the outer stalks and loosened the remaining ones after about a week just to give the new stuff growing in the middle some room.


Now I am getting great little stalks in the center, with more developing.  Today I decided to take the plunge and put it in some soil.


I am sticking it in a bright window since it is just too hot outside (106 this past weekend) for celery right now.  We shall see if anything viable comes from it.  In the mean time, how cool is this?


Even if I just get little leaves, they are really good in a green salad, tuna salad, chicken salad, and soup.  I'll let you know how it goes.