Monday, June 10, 2013

Number 22 Fort Boggy State Park

After a great hike in Mission Tejas State Park and lunch with the folks, Breck and I headed over to Fort Boggy State Park.  From the moment we pulled up it was sad.  Note that it is ONLY open on weekends now due to budget cuts.  Weekends Only!


There is no working office to meet the ranger and get a map, so you are on your own to figure it out.  I don't mean to make this sound difficult, it's not, just disappointing.


The main attraction is the small lake which the trail works it's way around.


I would love to have some of these reeds in my yard where I have a seep that stays wet.  I jut think they are beautiful.


Lots of people were out enjoying a swim, and one couple doing a little fishing.  Again, sad it is not open during the week while the kids are out of school .


Bridges are a staple at the parks and I am always interested to see the different styles.  One day I hope to have a bridge in my back yard.  Another project I would love to do, but may never get around to.


The trail was difficult to follow and at times we were not even sure we were on the trail.  Yes, friends.  This is the trail.  Can you see it?


In a few spots the trail was blocked by downed trees that looked like they had been there for some time.


I caught myself being very down on the park and it's lack of maintenance.  Once I changed my attitude and started looking for bright spots I found some.

Downy Paintbrush


For whatever reason I have a thing for mushrooms.  I don't like to eat them, but I do love to photograph them.






This last group we saw growing before leaving the trail had been dug around by pigs.  Lucky for me they left a few.


This was the first time that a park did not meet (let alone exceed as most do) our expectations.  It is a beautiful piece of land with a lot to offer, the trails are just not well maintained.  However, if you are looking for a refreshing dip in the lake . . .
 
See more of our Texas State Park Adventures