Tuesday, June 11, 2013

My Thoughts Of The Morning

I will begin by saying thank you, Laurie, for sharing your Daybook.  Looked like fun, so I am sharing mine.

Today 6:48am on my porch


Outside my window . . . the Cardinals, Wrens, and Sparrows are making their morning sweep of the yard for their breakfast.  Mama Wren is especially loud with her song and there is a woodpecker in the distance and a Morning Dove calling.  The squirrels have not woken up yet, but two small rabbits are making their way up the hill and back to the woods, nibbling here and there as they go.


I am thinking . . . that I could never tire of looking at the trees in my back yard and the bright green color the leaves turn when the sunlight shines through them.  The first light breaks through as I sit here and spreads quickly from the trunk of one tree, to that of the one behind it.  A slight breeze provides the movement in this perfect picture.



Photo: Fall is my favorite season, but after several years of drought, this amazing spring may make me change my mind.  My backyard has never been so lush.

I am thankful . . . for the simple peace and quite that exists when you live in the country.  Just birds singing and wind in the leaves.  You just breath deeper and slower out here.  My husband has worked very hard in his life to provide this beautiful space for me and our family and I am thankful he took the opportunities that God provided for him that made it possible.


In the kitchen . . . I am getting ready to can some pickles for the pantry.  I have made refrigerator pickles and enjoyed them, but this will be new for me.  Just looking at recipes for pickles makes me happy.




I am wearing . . . my husband's big comfy t-shirt, cropped jeans and no shoes so I can wiggle my toes while I drink my coffee.  I prefer to be barefoot at home anyway.  Fashion is not my thing, but I really get into comfort.  It's time for a new pedicure, I notice.  I'm thinking purple.

I am creating . . . a list of projects I would like to accomplish around the house while I am on my summer break from work.  A new garden and some sewing on my Dear Jane quilt make the list.  I love my sewing room and find it very relaxing.




I am going . . . to take it easy today and that's okay.  I have been living my summer so far like it is a long weekend that I need to cram everything into.  It's time to slow down and enjoy.


I am wondering . . . if the drought in our area is over so my trees will no longer suffer and can remain green and healthy.  The last two years have been tough and we have lost a few very large and very old trees, but rains this spring have given me hope.  


I am reading . . . the Jack Reacher thriller series by Lee Child and really enjoying it.  I love it when I find a new author I like, and that he/she has a lot of books to choose from, like Brad Thor and his Scot Harvath spy novel series.


I am hoping . . . that the hummingbirds find the new birdbath rock that I put in the garden for them.  It's next to the Coral Honeysuckle Vine they like, so it should just be a matter of time.  It is one of my new favorite things.


I am looking forward to . . . traveling across Texas with my husband this summer to our friends' Allie and Marcus' wedding in New Mexico.  We plan to stop at 7 Texas State Parks along the way.  We have a 3 year plan to hit all 93 Texas parks.



I am learning . . . so many new things while working on my Dear Jane quilt.  I have stretched myself, learning new sewing techniques and to accept when things are somewhat less than perfect.  Funny how the imperfections in one 5 inch block disappear as it becomes part of a larger whole.  There is a metaphor for life and character in there.

Around the house . . . I would like to organize my cleaning closet with some additional shelves and storage.  It makes me happy when even the places that nobody else sees are cute, like the kitchen pantry project I did last week.




I am pondering . . . if I will need to do laundry before leaving for a trip with my husband.  It's company picnic time and I will need to pack an over-night bag.


A favorite quote for today . . . "Rest is not idleness  and to lie sometimes on the grass on a summer day listening to the murmur of water, or watching the clouds float across the sky, is hardly a waste of time."  John Lubbock.   


One of my favorite things . . . is starting my day off gently with morning coffee while I check my email and catch up on friends, family, and what's in the news.  It is also when I like to look at new recipes to try and inspirational photos of home improvement projects that others have done.



A few plans for the rest of the week . . . are to make a raised garden bed, prepare a good soil, plant ornamental gourd seeds, and make a trellis for them to grow on.  I plan to harvest and dry several to decorate my tables in the fall and hopefully will have plenty to share.

A peek into my day . . . will involve the washer and dryer.  I decided I will need to do laundry before packing.



I am sharing this post on . . .



Writing this was such a pleasant experience, and such a nice way to start the day.