Saturday, June 29, 2013

My Dream Garden

As you know, I have really been into my new garden since my summer break has begun.  It started out as such a simple thing, but has exploded into something I am very excited about.  Here is a reminder of where it started.


Here is where it is today.


And a shot from the backside looking up the driveway with my 4 x 4 garden and lemon tree in the foreground.


Apparently this is just the tip of the iceberg, because in my evening down time I have made a plan using a garden planner from Mother Earth News.


It's bigger, yes, but when I made a list of the things I would like to grow it just made sense to expand.  Besides, I am pretty sure it is going to look fabulous and be a place that our frequent visitors will love to explore.  First let me show you the inspiration for the fence that will go around the garden.  Take away the fancy dodads on the posts and this is about perfect to keep out the bunnies.

(Source)
And I would love a pallet table for a work (or spring lunch or dinner al fresco) space under the arbor area where there is a gate and a water barrel and water spigot.

(Source)
And just to the left of that arbor I would like to have this (wider at 4 feet to run the entire side) to put a collection of pots for forcing and to keep my soil additives.  Cute, right?

(Source)
I really want this to be attractive since it is at the top of my driveway and highly visible.  This is why I want to add so much architectural interest.  If it was going to be hidden in my backyard behind a 6 foot fence I may not care, but it's not.  So on with the cuteness.  Here is what I would love to have for the Squash Family Trellis (cucumbers, gourds, squash, and zucchini).  Great for climbing vines, but a wonderful focal point at the back of the garden.  The location on the north end also means it won't make shade on the rest of the garden.

The style of the arbor will match the larger one I want over the work area.  These pictures are not EXACTLY what I want (way too bulky looking), but you get the idea.  I would also like to add a gutter or two to collect rain water for the barrel I want to put there.

The Legume Trellis Garden will be much deeper that the others, which are made of 6 inch wide planks, to accommodate the carrots, potatoes, and peanuts I might like to try to grow.  I'm thinking 12 to 16 inches deep.  Why not?  Here is the trellis I would like there.

(Source)
At this point you may be wondering what I will plant.  Below are charts I have compiled with the indoor forcing dates in blue, outdoor sowing dates in green, and the harvest dates in orange.  As you see, I should be able to keep things rotating all year if I want to.  Click the charts below to make them bigger and easier to read.

Squash Family Garden

Vegetable Garden

Legume and Trellis Garden

Herb Garden

So there are my best laid plans.  We shall see how it goes.