Friday, June 14, 2013

I'm Done Til August

I'm glad I am doing it, but setting up a garden is a lot of work.  I wish I had done it in the spring to be ready for summer planting, but I didn't.  Here we are.  I can see light at the end of the tunnel though.  

I set up a trellis system for my gourds.  I can't tell you how many hours I spent wondering how to do it, but in the end I decided to go with pipe.  I picked up 5 @ 5' x 1/2"  from the electric section of Lowe's.  It was $1.79 for a ten foot section.  Cheaper than the PVC and I think it will last longer.  Looks better to me, too.  They didn't have a T fitting so I went over to the plumbing section and got a plastic one for 79 cents.  You can see I am not breaking the budget on this.


The 90 degree fitting were the most expensive part at $2.50 and I only needed 2.


I hammered 3-6 foot pieces of left over rebar into the ground and slipped the pipe sections over it.  Using the T fitting and 90 degree end pieces I made the top bar of the frame.  A little garden netting  and my trellis was complete.  This will be great for cucumbers in the fall.


Have you been looking at my garden pictures and wondered what all that yellow is back there?  It's a 1 1/5 acre field of sunflowers.  Beautiful.



That was yesterday, and I'm glad it's over.  It was hot, and hammering the rebar 2 feet into the ground for stability was a lot of work.  Today I got to do the fun part and plant my seeds.  I soaked the pole bean seeds in water over night.

 
Always thinking reuse/recycle, I took the hanger pieces that I clipped off making the hose anchors to mark where my seeds went so I don't pull them as weeds.


I made a teepee tower of dead youpon from around the property and used a twist tie from the soaker hose packaging to secure them at the top to each other.


I did buy one plant, though I am going to try and do all my plantings in August, September, and October from seed.  This is a jalapeno plant.


All I plan to do now is transplant some basil seedlings that are coming up in my herb garden.  They just don't get enough sun there anymore.

Now that the garden project is behind me I really want to get back to my sewing room.  I am 2 weeks into my summer break and have not done a thing with Dear Jane.