Sunday, June 2, 2013

How Do You Pronounce Quinoa?

There are recipes all over the internet for Quinoa, but until this week I didn't know how to say it.  I started phonetically with Kwin-o-ah, but have since learned it's Keen-wah.  Anyway, I picked some up at the grocery store and gave it a whirl.

First I soaked it in water for 30 minutes until it all sank to the bottom of the bowl.  Then I strained it off, rinsed it, and put it in a pan with 1 1/4 cups of chicken broth.  This I brought to a simmer, covered, and continued to simmer for 25 minutes over low heat.  I left the lid on, just like rice, for about 5 minutes.  Then I fluffed it up and poured it out onto some waxed paper to cool.  Boy, a cup went a long way.


After it cooled, I put 3 cups into a glass bowl and tossed it with a chopped red bell pepper, a green one, 6 sliced green onions with their tops, 2 chopped carrots, and two sliced of onion chopped.  It looked amazing.  For a dressing I used some rice vinegar, olive oil, salt, and curry powder.  Next time I'll heat it up with a little paprika instead of the curry.  Tomorrow I will throw in some frozen thawed peas and corn for lunch.


It made a great side dish to our Roasted Cauliflower (olive oil, garlic, and thyme) and Mustard Glazed Salmon (whole-grain mustard, honey, thyme and bread crumbs).


It is such a healthy food.  High in protein, to be sure.  But look at the health benefits.

(Source)
It doesn't make the recipe page yet.  With a little tweaking of flavors, though, I think it will.  I will use quinoa again for sure.  Have you been cooking with quinoa?