Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Number 20: San Jacinto Monument and Battleground

One of the stops on our whirlwind day in Houston was the San Jacinto Monument on the San Jacinto Battleround State Historic Site.  Both are part of the State Park system.  It is quite the structure when you pull up to it from the south.


It is more than 567 feet tall (taller than the Washington Monument), with 8 carved panels showing important events in Texas history.


You can see the Battleship Texas in the distance and a long reflecting pool to side.


At this point my camera battery went dead and I realized that I had left my back up at home.  How does that happen?  Anyway, I was glad to have my camera so I could continue to take photos inside where there is a museum with artifacts on display.



I hate taking pictures through glass.



It is a beautiful sight to see, really.


There is an observation deck at the top, but we didn't go up.  Maybe on the next trip.

See more of our Texas State Park Adventures