Thursday, May 16, 2013

Mexican Pie

My cooking success has been so hit and miss lately.  I confess, mostly miss.  By that I mean I just wouldn't make the recipe again.  Finally, tonight I tried something that was okay, but with tweaking could be really good and worthy of making again.

I mixed one cornbread mix package, one can of creamed corn, 1/3 cup of milk, one egg, a small can of green chilies, and one tsp of chili powder in a medium bowl.  I poured the cornbread into a 9-inch pan coated with cooking spray and baked at 400 degrees for 30 minutes.  What would I do different next time?  Nothing.  I was happy with this step.


Love those crispy edges.


I had boiled and shredded 2 chicken breasts the night before and had a can of Enchilada Sauce and some grated cheese.


 I tore the cornbread in some places with a fork and poured the sauce over top.  Next time I won't tear it for the sauce to soak in.  I want to keep the dry texture of the cornbread to balance the saucy topping.



Then I sprinkled the shredded chicken on top and sprinkled about 1 1/4 cups of Mexican Cheese on top of that.  Next time I'll reserve about 1/4 cup of sauce before pouring it on the cornbread to toss with the chicken.  I would also add some chopped onion, more chili powder, and maybe a can of black beans with the chicken.



I put it back in the oven for 20 minutes until it was hot and bubbly.


I big dollop of sour cream, a sprinkle of cheese, and a little fresh cilantro and we called it dinner.


This is very similar to a favorite dish of mine where chicken, corn, green peppers, beans and cheese are mixed together in a casserole dish and a cornbread mix is poured over top and baked.  It's not as saucy as this Mexican Pie, but very good.  I'll get that one on the blog soon because it is really good.