Saturday, May 25, 2013

Crock Pot Asian Pork Ribs

Finally!  It seems forever since I have had a hit recipe around here, but tonight I got one right.  It's a good thing since my son was in town for the holiday weekend and he loves ribs.  And cooking in the crock pot is so easy.  For the Asian Ribs I put 3 1/2 pounds of pork ribs (cut into 3 sections so they would fit nicely), 1/2 cup of water, 1 cup of brown sugar, 1 cup of low-sodium soy sauce, 3 whole cloves of garlic, 1 teaspoon of ground ginger, and 4 whole (do not cut these guys!) jalapenos into a crock pot.


I cooked them on low for 7 hours, turning them over about 4 hours in.


They made my house smell fantastic all day.  While they cooked, I made a simple Veggie Slaw with 1 package of broccoli slaw mix, 1 chopped green pepper, 1 bunch of slice green onions including the tops, 1 package of Oriental Ramen noodles tossed with One-Third Dressing.  One-Third Dressing is made of 1/3 cup Cider Vinegar, 1/3 cup vegetable oil, 1/3 cup sugar, and 1/3 of the Oriental Ramen seasoning packet whisked together.  This is poured over the vegetables and tossed to coat.  Chill it in the refrigerator for a a few hours to get the flavors nice and blended.  A handful of almonds or a drained can of Mandarin oranges can also be added.


The ribs turned out great.  I pulled them out of the crock pot after 7 hours and placed them on a foil lined cookie sheet to broil in the oven for 3 minutes per side before serving.


Served with a little Hosin Sauce on the side and they were perfect.  The meat easily slid off the bone, but not so easily that they fell apart as I was serving them.

I also made Strawberry-Cream Cheese Wontons for dessert.  Sorry, no picture, but I got the recipe from Onion Rings and Things, using strawberry instead of raspberry.  Two per person was plenty, and rounded out an Asian inspired (though not traditional) dinner.