Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Cinnamon Rolls. Yep. Cinnamon Rolls

Cinnamon Rolls are one of those foods that I have always wanted to make, but never could pull the trigger on and attempt.  I worried they would be too much work.  Well, folks, they are not.   This weekend I put a recipe to the test and made Vanilla Pudding Cinnamon Rolls with Cream Cheese Frosting.   I cheated and made the dough in my bread machine.


It worked out great, allowing me the time while it processed to unload the dishwasher and get things in order.  I took the butter (because there must be butter) out to soften and mixed up the brown sugar and cinnamon for the filling.  I then let the dough rise a second time in bowls for about 30 minutes until doubled.


The dough was much easier to work with than pizza dough.  It rolled out nicely and held its shape well.


Next came the gooey goodness.  I spread the butter and sprinkled the sugar/cinnamon.


Rolling it up was a trick, but not too difficult.  I did this twice making two logs.


The slices are 1 1/2" wide and make a lot of cinnamon rolls.  I was able to make 2 pans of 7 and 1 pan of 6 for the freezer.  When I am ready to cook these, I will thaw them in the fridge for a day then let them rise on the counter over night before baking in the morning.


I still had enough to bake 7 more for the family to eat right away.


They were a hit, though I put a little too much frosting on this one.


And the best part is that I still have 3 pans in the freezer for another day.