Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Herbs and Citrus are Great in the Garden

Spring.  Time to get things done in the yard.  Of course there will always be weeding, pruning, and fertilizing to do, but this year I also wanted to get some planting done.  I headed out to our local mom and pop nursery to pick up a couple pecan trees, but I ended up coming home with citrus.  This little Meyer lemon should be great, giving up its fruit between November and April.  Great for my strawberry lemonade.  I have always been jealous of my friend Diane's tree, now I have one of my own.



I got this seedless orange tree, also.  Its fruit is easy to peel like those little clementines in the grocery store.  Should be able to harvest these between November and January.  I'm doing this one in a pot so I can keep the roots from being too wet and to help me keep the size reasonable.


So many blossoms.


 I also added more herbs to the garden:  chives, basil, cilantro, and oregano.


Those little 4 inch pots go in so easily and they are so much cheaper than fresh herbs at the grocery store.


My garden just gets bigger every year.  Can you believe my rosemary?  It's huge!!!  The thyme, sage, and oregano came back from last year, too.


Yep.  I love my garden and our new additions.